Google

Monday, January 28, 2008

If I were President III

Taxes... as certain as death. It disgusts me how much the rich pay to the government. The top 5% of wage earners pay something like 55% of the taxes. The lowest 50% of wage earners pay less (much less from what I understand) than 10% of the taxes. Seems to me that the rich actually need tax breaks and those like me could stand to be taxed a little more. That would sure as hell guarantee that I work harder to get out my tax bracket. As it stands, I love getting everything I pay back from the government. 

So, here is my solution to taxes... tax the poor and give them an incentive to get out of the lowest paying tax bracket (see President II if you want to know how I feel about welfare). Just kidding...

Actually, I really think that the government needs to get all its income from a national sales tax. If I were president I would work to eliminate both state and federal income taxes and institute a nation wide federal sales tax. I really feel like the current system of taxation is more stealing than anything else. They take anywhere from 15 - 30% or more off the top of anything that I make. Now what exactly entitles the government to that much of my money? I guess that they have to pay for votes some how. 

Don't get me wrong, the government has to have money to operate, but does it need 1/3 or more of my income off the top to operate? One would argue that if they were efficient and let private organizations take care of social needs, they could do their job with a lot less. Furthermore, what entitles Bill Clinton to his salary as president for the rest of his life? Hell of a pension and social security plan our "public servants" have, especially when you consider that when most of they serve go to collect social security it will be bankrupt. The one thing they never disagree on or delay is their annual pay raise each year. 

I love rants.

I guess when it comes to taxes we have to ask ourselves what the function of government is. Is their job to regulate everything from public defense of the nation to how much water goes down my toilet after I leave a deposit? My answer would be no. The government is there it ensure public order, provide for the common defense of the nation, provide a common currency and possibly to regulate trade within the country and with other countries. Anything much above that and they are stepping on toes that do not need to be stepped on. Our taxes should only cover their basic operating needs with the largest portion of those funds going to those who defend our country (go figure I'm a veteran right). 

Why is it that I, a resident of Colorado, have to pay for $500 million worth of public works earmarks (thanks Billary) for a state I never intend or desire to visit? Why should you have to pay for a war you don't support if you don't want to? That is why I would propose a national sales tax. I would limit this tax to non-food items. Utilities would also be off limits to taxation. Those are items that every citizen would get tax free. Any clothes, electronics, vehicles, entertainment items (including dining out) that are not needed to provide for the basic needs of your family would be taxed. You know then that if you buy anything other than needs a portion of your money would go to a program or war that you did not support. As in all business, let your patrons speak with their money.

Other than the federal sales tax there would be no hidden taxes, fees or charges that would go to the government. Simple in theory right?

Okay, so we have tackled immigration, welfare reform and now taxes... What next my dear readers? I will let you suggest the next if I were president thread. Until I get one, I will move on to more interesting things...

Prayers,

Pisio.

P.S. check out my friend "Mr. Nerd's" blog. If I ever decide I want to blog for bucks I will start with some of his suggestions.

No comments: