Google

Monday, January 21, 2008

School

I have had a lot of great life experiences that I would not have had if I had enrolled in college right out of high school. Yet now, I am a husband and father. We are in the process of buying a house and I have to work full time while I am in school. It seems like despite my business I am never really getting anywhere.

I am at a point now where I am going to be cutting my credits per semester back... way back. I have to. I am already in a situation where I have to work full time to afford school, plus I have my son and wife that I have to make time for. I have no time for myself to sit back and re-energize. Being an introvert that is a problem. 

In order to maintain my sanity after this semester I am going to have to cut my credit hours back to 3 - 6. Currently I am doing 9, and I seem to just get more and more tired as the days go on. School is not something I look forward to as I did when I returned a year and a half ago. Now it is just one more thing that I have to do that day. Initially when I returned to school I thought that I would be able to graduate in under 3 years. Cutting my credit hours back though, I am looking at adding maybe being able to graduate by the time my son (now 15 months old) is 5 - 6 years old. I guess that important thing though is that I get through.

I am not sure how old any of you who are viewing this may be, yet I assume that eventually some of you will be stumbling across this in your later high school years. If you are unsure that college is right for you now, don't rush it. Some of the best people I know have never graduated college. And now, as I return to complete my degree I see more and more non-traditional students who did not go the conventional route of entering college right out of high school. Most of us are doing just fine.

Despite the time constraints we have, the lack of financial aid we qualify for and our age being almost double that of some of our fellow students, I think that overall we appreciate and enjoy the experience more than our younger class mates. I guess with the life experiences we have had, we realize the campus politics and fraternity or sorority issues we run into are nothing like those you will eventually have to face. In the grand scheme of things, they are probably pretty petty. 

I realize that this post started out pretty negative, yet one of the good things about writing is it allows you to voice your feelings and randomly think things through. Welcome to the world that I live in. One full of daily, if not hourly, changing emotions. I guess getting me writing again is just one more thing I have to thank my wife for, and be thankful for her in my life again.

Prayers,

Pisio

No comments: