Google

Monday, September 27, 2010

Hawaii

I took a quiz on Facebook today, what state should you live in? I did this after a friend of mine answered the same quiz and was told she should live in California. Based on how wrong they got that one, I wanted to see what would come up for me... Probably, Massachusettes or Michigan... Nope. With me, they got it spot on. I should live in Hawaii.

I lived my formative years in Hawaii, specifically on Maui. I graduated from St. Anthony JR/SR High School in Wailuku. Shane Victorino was 5 years behind me (he was such a punk in those days, I hear he really turned his attitude around though). Hawaii though has always stuck with me. I am still in touch with a lot of people from the island, and I can honestly say that I have more friends on that island than I do here in Colorado.

Am I happy with my life here in Colorado? Yes. Very much so. I love my new job and our house and the schools that my kids will have a chance to go to. I can't help this feeling though that something is lacking in our lives here. No, not the beach and bikinis. There is just something missing in the people. I am not used to a place where people are uncomfortable being called aunty or uncle by my children, or me for that matter. And I have to admit the handshakes rather than hugs are getting a little bit cold...

All I used to hear when I lived here in the 90's before my parents uprooted me and made me move to Hawaii was how racist the islands were. Is there racism present in Hawaii? Yes. Is it what people made it out to be? By no means. The people there just do not like dumbasses (although I can't explain why they elect who they elect), and the things that they do.

It even grew on me. If you go to Hawaii, remember, not everyone is on vacation. It is no more appropriate to stop on a main road and read a map in Hawaii than it would be in say... Chicago. In Hawaii you may get called a Haole for doing so... I will take that over what I might get in Chicago. If you are lost, pull over to a gas station and ask. That is what the people are there for. They will, if you are not a dumbass, give you the shirt off your back if you need it. You just have to go there and show the respect to them that you would anyone else.

Ohhh... why do I feel the need to apologize for Hawaii? I guess because it is calling me back. I can hear the Ocean taunting me in my dreams, daring me to wade in its waters again. I want so badly to swim with the Honu and Humu again. I want to feel the warn embrace of Hawaii and her people.... ARGH! I do not like the midlife crisis I think I am about to go through. Hopefully it will be short.

Prayers and aloha!

Pisio

No comments: