Google

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Settling In

I think that Jonah and I are finally getting there. Our couches and appliances are in, we have all our boxes unpacked, and today I programmed the sprinkler system... We have arrived. I guess it is about time. It has been a month since we moved into our new place. It is so nice to be able to sit on our own couch and watch movies on our own television.

Our next big project will be the back yard. We have to call and get a fence and gate installed, and then get any landscaping that we want to do approved by the HOA. This should be an adventure in and of itself. We have five months to get it done, but I would like to have it done sooner rather than later. We are really not sure what we are going to do yet. We tried to get some ideas today, but our little boy just wanted to go home. As much as I love him there are days when he really makes getting anything done a pain.

I know that we are going to try to take a swing set from my moms house. It is one of those big wooden things... 16ft x 17ft footprint. I think our little yard is something like 20ft x 20ft... Actually I am not really sure the size, but the swing set will be huge in the back yard. We will also need to build a retaining wall to flatten off the back slope a little. Like I said, this will be an adventure.

Today Jonah asked me if I had a green thumb. My guess is that she does not... we have never really had a yard to try and grow anything. Sure we had a small yard in Hawaii, but we did not have to landscape it, and everything there was fairly low maintenance. Here though it will be a lot harder, especially in the spring. It can be 90 degrees today and snowing tomorrow. We will have to tend to things a lot better than we did there. It will really be a lot of fun.

Tomorrow I get to call the fence guy. I am not really looking forward to the fence being put in. We are having a different company than the rest of the neighborhood had do theirs. They are a little more expensive, but they build fences to last in the strong winds we get out here. They have been in business a long time, and people I trust have recommended them. The problem is their standard installation has three support rails, while everyone else out here only does two. It will look a little weird when we tie into the neighbors.

I guess that is just part of being in community though. People have cut corners to save a few bucks here and there. I am tempted to, but I would rather pay upfront to have it done now than have to repair something that could not withstand the winds this summer. Hopefully all the surrounding fences will as well...

Hmm... If you have any recommendations for our back yard, please let me know. I would appreciate your insights...

Prayers,

Pisio

No comments: