Google

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Time... Where Have You Gone???

I remember having a conversation with the son of a babysitter when I was in about 6th grade. He was much older than me, just about ready to graduate high school, and we started for some reason to talk about time. I was talking to him about how slow the year was going and how it was the same old thing everyday. It was summer. I would wake up, eat breakfast, and then it would be off for a day of riding my bike, swimming, watching movies and driving his mother absolutely nuts...

He said something that I could never quite believe then... He told me to enjoy it while it lasted because come high school I would be wondering where all the time went. He told me about all the good times he had in high school and how quickly that they flew by. It was almost like things were happening to him and then were done before he could ever fully grasp what was going on. It was like time sped up the older you got. He then proceeded to kiss the image of Cyndi Lauper on his television screen...

That conversation seems like an eternity ago, but I have never quite forgotten it. I never really have stopped to consider it, but every once and a while it just passes through my head. Why is it that time seems to speed up through the years when we need it most? Yesterday I was 18 and not dating, I woke up today and I am 31, married with a son. Those 13 years have just flown by. Seriously... Michael was just born, and I blinked and he is 18 months old...

Some days this seems like a cruel joke... I feel like I have missed out on so much, yet at the same time my life has been full and rewarding. I fon't remember the bad times, but have never really stopped to appreciate all the good times. When a friend calls or stops by, I seem to rush through the call or the time they are with me... I have forgotten about what matters most...

Man I miss being a kid. All that mattered was the person I was with and the adventure we were on that day. Do you remember making up games? We used to kicked out of the house on nice days. We were forced to go out side and play baseball or kick ball... something... when we had kicked all of our balls in to the county reservoir or let them get washed away in the monsoon rains, we had to make up our own games... like the hot lava monster who jumped out of our rock front yards. It was like tag, except in a really confined area...

I think the most profound thing is that I never was too busy to get to know someone. I used to know what my friends dreams were. I knew who wanted to be a doctor, a soldier or a fireman. I have the same amount of time now, but I do not know near as much about my friends as I used to. I am not sure why? As adults do we really not have the time to get to know someone well, or are we afraid that when we get to know someone and let them into our lives that we open ourselves up to being hurt?

HMMM... to be a kid again. To know my friends again... to know their fears, hopes and dreams. That would be awesome... Time, where have you gone, and how can we get you back?

Prayers...

Pisio

No comments: