Google

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Retreat

It really has been a long couple of weeks. This year's class of Confirmandi have really gotten under my skin. Individually they are all good kids, but if you get them together as a group, they are collectively rotten. Their parents are about as big of a problem as they, or quite possibly even a bigger one. I feel like I have been babysitting a bunch of 40 year olds all year. Short of wiping their butts, I pretty much have.

Well, I can say at least the year is almost over and there is light at the end of the tunnel. After May 2nd I really do not have to have much to do with them... Maybe that is a horrible attitude to have, but at least you know that I am being honest. I really have not enjoyed my job this year, at least until the last week or so. They have really gelled over the last month, and come together.

In some ways that has been rewarding. I work in a very clickish community. Our parish draws from three different school districts and a private school. Generally none of them get along with each other, and they do their best to keep it that way. This has disheartened me since I was a member of the youth group here in the early nineties. I guess somethings never change.

This time however there was a small change. They all managed to come together especially during the retreat. The young body of Christ had managed to drop their insecurities and inhibitions and actually get to know each other beyond them being D11, or D20, or St. Mary's kids. It was really wonderful to watch. I just wish that I could figure out a way to make it happen more often.

I think that is the hardest thing about youth ministry. Each group of kids is different and so something that worked last year will not work this year even though the end goal is the same. That goal being leading them deeper in their relationship with Christ. Each year that goal gets harder to attain as the distractions get more and more in number. Competing with those distractions gets harder and harder.

Each year though Christ finds a way to break through. I guess my role in that is just providing them with the opportunities to encounter Him and He will break through. Dang that is fun to watch. It has been a challenging, but fun year once again... I guess... Here's to another one...

Prayers,

Pisio

No comments: