Google

Monday, February 4, 2008

Swimming

Today, after six weeks off, I started to swim again. Just under a half mile. I figure my out of shape butt needed to do something, so I did. It was so nice to be in the water again. I mean after 13 years of swimming in the ocean on Maui, it just gets in your blood. You can not forget that lazy feeling just gliding along watching the fish.

I really do not know why, but today in the pool at UCCS I was really reminded of snorkeling on Maui. There was just something about the water in the pool. Maybe it was the color, or the temperature, but something brought back memories of snorkeling off the coast of Maui. One particular instance came to mind...

I remember it like it was yesterday, even though it was my senior year of High School. It was the first time I got up close and personal with the Honu. What amazing and peaceful creatures. There I was... 18 years old and hoping beyond hope to see one. I remember popping my head out and talking to my friend Chris. we were both under the impression that this was the best place to find them... As I was clearing my mask, the expression on Chris' face went from one of frustration to one of absolute elation. 

There, no farther away from my head as my monitor is from my face, one surfaced to breath. I felt it exhale... The next thing you know we were right in the middle of a herd of them... Not sure if that is the biological term for a group of them, but that is what I would call it... There were easily 10 honu there, just floating along with us all of a sudden. It was the first time in my life that I can remember being totally secure. For some reason I felt safe even though I was easily 1/2 a mile off shore bordering on the "deep" blue.

Chris was the same way. That marked the first time in the six months that I knew him that I can honestly say that he was at peace. He was not as lucky as I was and he came from a broken and really dysfunctional home. Yet for that brief period... it could have been 5 minutes or an hour... he was totally at peace. We got so caught up in the moment that time just stood still. There is something truly regal about the honu. 

Looking back on that moment in time I am thankful to God for all He has given me. That experience with a good friend, and one of God's most beautiful creations is one that will live with me forever. I truly hope that one day my son will be able to experience a something similar.

As peaceful as that moment was we were probably lucky we did not observe one of the honu closer. A mutual friend who was with us at the time pointed out to us later that one of them only had three fins. You see the waters of Maui are not only patrolled by the honu, they are also home to a tiger. Not one with fur and a main, but one with fins, teeth and large sweeping tail... the tiger shark. Tiger sharks are largely territorial, to some extent so are the honu. The honu is a favorite dinner dish for the tiger... we were also swimming with tigers.

Looking back on that experience, I realize how truly blessed I am and have been... Today has been an awesome day.

Prayers,

Pisio

No comments: